Kayak The Boulder Valley
Now you can rent kayaks at Wairere Boulders and experience the valley in a completely different way. Beginning your adventure at high tide you can kayak up the valley between the boulders, then head out towards the Hokianga habour letting the ebbing tide carry you through the mangroves. There are lots of distractions along the way; from wildlife to sneeky side streams and boulders just asking to be jumped off. You can kayak all the way to the Mangungu Mission House and we’ll pick you up and bring you and the kayaks back.
All our kayaks are the super safe, sit-on-top models, which are easy to use even for beginners and kids. We will supply you with all the necessary life jackets and paddles. We have 8 single kayaks and a 2-3 person family kayak available . As the Wairere Stream is tidal, kayaking is dependent on the tides. Have a look at local tide times to see if they work in with your visit. A typical trip up the boulder stream then out to the harbour takes an hour and a half to two hours.
Kayak Rental Prices
Booking your kayaks is recommended, so that we can confirm timings and ensure we have the right kayaks available for you.
Kayak Hire Terms and Conditions
Outdoor activities have a degree of risk. Participants should be aware that no operator can absolutely guarantee your safety. You must sign a Terms of Hire Agreement with Wairere Boulder Kayak Hire prior to departure. To ensure safety we reserve the right to refuse hire due to adverse weather/river conditions or if a client is unsuitable due to age, size, ill health or poor fitness.
- Lifejacket must be worn at all times.
- All children must be in direct supervision of an adult at all times.
- No landing on private properties.
- When stopping and getting out of the kayak all equipment must be storred in a safe place.
- Protect the New Zealand environment and wildlife by not leaving litter on river banks and beaches.
- Pay attention to avoid collisions with other users of the water i.e. motorboats, jet ski, water ski, kayaks, swimmers.
- Pay attention to other dangerous situations such as strong currents, tide, flood, poor weather, waves, unstable cliffs.
- No alcohol or drugs before or during your kayak rental.
- Our sit-on-top kayaks are designed for moderate water. They are not suitable for white water or extreme conditions.
- The hirer is responsible for the return of the equipment in the same state in which it was received. Any repairs or replacement if the equipment is damaged or lost, will be paid for by the hirer.
- Wairere Boulders Kayak Hire is not responsible for any injury, loss, claim, damage, or any direct, incidental or consequential damages of any kind.